Join Me on Charity Miles!!

Come join Team Rhino & Friends for Project Purple, after you select Project Purple as your charity on the Charity Miles app!
You walk, run, swim, bike and the miles are counted towards Project Purple- just link your Strava account- and the miles push over!

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Lessons Learned: 2016 Racing Year in Review



The Stats:

Miles: Running 2222 (42.7 miles/week), Bike 1720, Swim 61.

Races (18): (1) beer mile, (3) 10Ks, (2) half marathons, (6) marathons, (2) 50Ks, (1) 100K, (1) 90.5 miler, (1) tri relay 13.1 run, (1) 117.6 mile 2/3 IM tri. (2 virtual races: 5K and 20 miler if you want to make it 20.)
 
 

Lowlight: LA Marathon.

Highlight: Chicago Marathon.

Hardest racing moment: running down Bolyston in the finals tenths of the Boston Marathon, knowing I had given it my all, but unsure if I could replicate the opportunity in 2017.

Proudest racing moment: getting through the bike at IM Coeur d’Alene, managing the heat, the hills, the wind, and my foot.

Best salvage: Finishing Canyons 100K despite bad electrolyte issues between miles 31-48 that nearly had me passing out.

Best racing decision: calling the Kettle 90.5 miles and 26 hours in (pretty sure it averted an ER visit in rural Wisconsin).

Best trip for racing: Wisconsin.

 

                There may have been too many lessons learned in 2016. It was the hardest racing year I’ve had since I started running in 2007. But as with challenging times in life, there is purpose in the stumbles if you can gain from the experiences. I aimed too high in 2017. I was aggressive with racing, with my schedule, with my training plans. And I stumbled as a consequence. And I stumbled some more, and then, I stumbled even more. But, as the year closes, I feel I’ve regrouped and that I’m back on track. I’m ready to put the lessons of 2016 to good use as I run into 2017!

                I started off 2016 with an aggressive plan with an ambitious PR goal for the LA Marathon, averaging 100K of running in the 12 weeks leading up to the race. I came to race day overtrained, undertapered, and when the forecast for the race called for heat, I melted. I melted physically and emotionally, having no compass by mile 5 when I knew my PR dream was gone. I finished slower than my first marathon. Two salvages came out of the race though: helping a friend to finish her first marathon and allowing myself to be vulnerable. Recounting the emotional abyss that came from the race has probably connected me with more running friends than any other race ever has.  Openness, honesty, raw emotion- well, they spilled out of me after LA. And they kept on coming.

                I lost my running mojo after LA, but did manage to regroup by late March. A successful half gave me the confidence I needed for Boston. I was back in shape, I was judicious with my training and aggressive with my taper this time. I was primed heading back to my favorite race for the 4th time. And then the heat came again. I wasn’t about to repeat LA and I needed the BQ. I ran harder than I have ever run during a marathon. It was a fine line between getting the BQ and passing out. Of the 24 marathons I have run, this was my best effort. The time will never reflect it, but I fought the heat and grabbed my squeaker BQ. And I knew it was a squeaker at 96 seconds. I would try to get the BQ 13 days later at Avenue of the Giants, then again at San Francisco 3 months later. Ultimately, my best effort and my fastest time for 2016 would remain Boston.
 
 

                Three weeks post Boston (and for those of you paying attention, 6 days after Avenue of the Giants), I ran Canyons 100K, easily the toughest course I have run with 15000 ft of climbing over 64 miles. It was a mudfest, which I survived, only to be taken over by electrolyte issues, as I was unable to tolerate the on-course beverage. I fought back after an extended death march, revived myself at mile 48, and safely made it to the finish. It wasn’t pretty, it nearly didn’t happen, but I earned another Western States qualifier. I had also had a “great” training run for Kettle Moraine 100 miler 4 weeks later.  The Kettle proved to be beautiful beyond belief as I enjoyed nearly every second of our Wisconsin trip. The beauty though was brought forth no doubt by the humidity, which I survived the first day. I stumbled into the 100K point and somehow made it back on course despite feet that were so badly battered that I could only walk through the pain. I have never reached lower lows than during that race, but I found the emotional way out to a better head space that allowed me to venture on. Ultimately, my body gave up after 26 hours, but my will, my heart, they persevered. It would be my 2nd DNF, but there was no defeat for me that day.
 

                11 weeks after the Kettle, I was on to Ironman Coeur d’Alene. I finally learned how to climb on my tri bike and became a stronger cyclist with help from my coach and training and life partner Jim. My running was strong, even with a respectable SF Marathon 3 weeks prior and higher running mileage than I had managed for IMAZ. I was consistent with open water swim classes and long swims on my own; but let’s face it, I still suck as a swimmer! Race day came and with it another heat forecast; thank you 2016.  I grabbed the swim PR. The first bike loop was manageable. The second tried to break me in every way possible as temps reached the 90s and 25 mph winds were pushing against me with every long hill climb.  I was happy I didn’t get heat stroke and that I pushed through the conditions and the pain growing in my foot. For all the moments when I wanted to just quit, I didn’t. I knew then and I know now I am never repeating the LA syndrome.  With the toughest bike ride of my life finished,I hobbled out to the marathon course. I couldn’t manage more than a couple of miles before I could no longer bear weight on my foot. My day would end at 117.6 miles.
 

                I could not walk and would not exercise for a bit, but managed to regroup for my tri relay 3 weeks later. That was the best of both worlds: spectating and racing. Four weeks later I was off to Chicago. I didn’t know what I had in me, but aimed for the BQ-5 (3:50) for 2018. I somehow pulled it out and would return from the trip able to walk through the airport and having reached my goal for the first time in the last three trips.  The year ended with fun: pacing my friend in her first 100 miler in November, pacing my husband for his 2nd marathon at CIM, and getting back on the trails, with a fun (if slow and mishap-ridden) 50K.
 

                So, less is more. It’s too hard to run BQ-pace marathons, run WS-qualifier worthy ultramarathons, and compete in Ironmans. I mean, I know it’s feasible and I came pretty close to doing it in 2016 (and I did do it in 2015). But, ultimately, it’s not necessary. And it’s certainly not recommended to try to get all three of those goals done (with a bonus 100 miler in the middle) in a four month timeframe. It’s too much. And the lesson from 2016 is that it’s enough. It’s enough to have any of those three accomplishments. It’s enough to actually not have any of them. It’s enough to wake up each day and go out on your run and enjoy it. It’s enough to run through the forest, run through the mud, run the trails with friends, run and take photos of all the beauty that resides there. It’s enough to feel gratitude for what you can do. It’s enough to have people who will cheer you through your races. It’s enough to have people who will hold your hand and comfort you when you fall. So, there were no PRs or grand accomplishments in my racing life in 2016. But, there was a lot of joy despite the struggles. There were a lot of adventures. There were more friends made. There was the rush of pushing myself and bettering myself. There was ultimately a better understanding of myself, an understanding of my limits, an acceptance of my vulnerabilities. And I know I’ll uncover more as the races and running days go on. And that’s okay. It’s enough.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment